I am not a fan of using stock cubes in my cooking, however when I am cooking for other people or cooking recipes that are bland with little or no flavour of its own, I like to add my home made alternative vegetable stock which is really a simple blend of vegetables, a little salt, herbs and peppers I make to keep in ice cube trays in the freezer for when I need them. My favourite vegetables for making a nice home made vegetable stock is aubergines. Aubergine naturally adds a really characterful flavour to cooking so it is my number one choice when I make these little food flavour bombs. Tomatoes, onion and chilli also gives a very nice flavour.
With traditional stock making, you will cook your vegetables and create a fluid broth but with these food flavour bomb stock, you only need to add as much water to allow it to blend to a smooth consistency inside the blender without overworking your blenders motor. You have to aim for a thick puree, so that you can add them to mashed recipes also or to home made baby food.
- 1 medium size aubergine
- 1/2 a large onion
- 1 bag of spinach
- pinch black pepper
- pinch salt
- chopped broccoli / cauliflower
- 250g / 1 mug of water
- wash and boil all your vegetables for 5 minutes with salt
- place into your blender
- add 1 mug of water and start blending
- add some more water but be careful to not over do it.
- when everything has been blended to a smooth consistency, you can now pour into ice cube trays
- store in the freezer and use a cube or more to recipes